Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Fast & Furious 7 Paradox

I went to see the latest Fast & Furious installment last night. I think it fried my sense of judgement (not to mention my brain, but that was a given), because I came out of the cinema with a strangely conflicting opinion about this movie.

On the one hand, a lot of it is... um, well, actually kind of terrible. For example:
- The hackneyed lines. In my opinion, you could cut half the dialogue from the script and wouldn't miss a thing. Rather the opposite. Sometimes it's better to say nothing at all than to insert something, anything, just so Vin Diesel can have the last word.
- The overacting (oh boy, the overacting)
- The meandering plot, held together by a very loose, very frayed thread.
- Vin Diesel's single expression (It's so singularly single, it almost deserves its own term. I think I might call it The Vingle)
- The impossible, over-the-top stunts. Believability = Zero. Needs to be taken with a pitcher of salt.

BUT

Somehow, the movie still manages to be
- Fun. Sit back, relax, enjoy the fireworks kind of fun.
- Moving. The tribute to Paul Walker at the end actually fit into the story. Sort of. But it definitely managed to induce sniffles in Yours Truly.
- Fun. Don't take it - and yourself - too seriously kind of fun.
- Funny. All the bad stuff was so over the top bad, that it was actually laugh-out-loud funny more than groan-worthy.
- Just Fun. Fun, fun, fun. Still not sure why, exactly.

It may remain a mystery.
:-D

Does anyone else feel the same way? 



No comments:

Post a Comment