Monday, November 26, 2012

The Beauty Of NaNoWriMo

The Chamaeleon Chronicles are coming along at a fair clip, seeing as they're my NaNo-story. Yes, I know, I started them several months before November 1st, but the overall goal of NaNo is to write 50,000 words in thirty days, which is what I'm aiming to accomplish. Even during those years I started at the beginning of the story on November 1st, I never finished it in 50,000 words by the 30th - or ever. So this year I'm doing it the other way around: I'm hoping to have an almost finished first draft of what might be the makings of my second completed novel, with 50,000 words of it written during NaNoWriMo.

Does that still make me a legitimate NaNo-winner?

Of course, this draft will need a lot of rewrite-work. A LOT. But at least I'll have something to rewrite, which is the beauty of NaNo, and I'm learning to appreciate that more and more each day. It's making me go forward again, not just dither on the precipice of wanting to write. And even though my workload is full and I have other stuff going on, I'm managing to carve out an hour each evening for writing.

When November is over, I want to keep that up. My goal is an hour each day. When I let myself just write without editing (because that screws up the flow), I manage 1,000 words during that hour easily. At six days a week, that's approximately 300,000 words per year, or ca. three novels in my favorite genre. Pretty promising stats, don't you think? Time will tell if I can keep to this resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment