Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A Proportional Perspective of the World's Native Languages

iO9 posted this cool infographic by Alberto Lucas López, which shows how 23 of the world’s mother tongues are proportioned, and how they’re distributed around the globe. Here is the full article. 

The linguaphile in me loves this sort of information. Who'd a thunk so many people actually speak my native language, German? Or that there were so many more Chinese speakers than English? Or this curious tongue called Urdu - I don't even know where on the world map to place that (at least I wouldn't if it didn't say India on the graph). Ditto for Marathi or Tamil. How can I never have heard about a language spoken by approximately 70 million people, with as beautiful a name as Marathi? Sounds like something out of Game of Thrones

I feel so ignorant. In a good way, because hey, now I've heard of them. And it lends a whole new perspective as to how diverse our little blue planet acutally is.




1 comment:

  1. Really interesting infographic! There are so many cultures and languages to study and discover.I've learned English as a second language myself, i even work as a writer at https://vip-writers.com/. Currently i'm learning my third language.Discovering new cultures are always fun.

    ReplyDelete